This is a great tip for getting your vocals clearer and brighter!
- Copy your lead vocal track onto another track. Mute the original lead vocal track for now, we will come back this.
- Add an EQ to the copy and low cut everything below 2k. Then give a wide Q boost at 2k and above. Anywhere between 5db to 9db should work.
- Now add a compressor and slam it hard. Try a ratio up around 7:1 to 8:1. Your looking to getting the highs sounding smooth at this stage. Some tweaking to attack and release times will be needed.
- Add the same reverb to the compressed vocal as you’ve used on the original lead vocal. This is going to bring out the clarity of the vocals.
- Pull the fader down on the compressed vocal and un-mute the original lead vocal. Now slowly bring the fader up on the compressed copy to a point that sounds and feels natural.